Best price in 30 seconds

  0203 870 2545

Paperwork Questions

  • Explore our paperwork FAQs below, if the query you have isn’t there, don’t hesitate to get in touch.

With only a small amount of paperwork required, selling your car for scrap or salvage couldn’t be easier

It’s my first time selling a vehicle for scrap, what do I need to do?

Here at Scrapping A Car our aim is to make the process of selling your vehicle as easy as possible. Read our frequently asked questions below, if the question you have isn’t there, please get in touch with us by calling 0203 870 2545 and we will be happy to help.

What do I need to provide on the day of collection?

On the day of collection, we need you to provide the following; all sets of vehicle keys, photo ID, a utility bill that is less than 3 months old, the V5C (log book) if you have it, and any paperwork you may have for the vehicle.

Are there any specific documents I need?

We need you to provide the following documents; the V5C, any vehicle history that you have such as MOTs, service history or receipts of work, alongside your ID and utility bill as previously mentioned.

Do I need to fill out the paperwork?

We want to make the process of scrapping your vehicle as hassle-free as possible. With over 30 years industry experience, our team have extensive knowledge of the whole process. Both you and the collector will need to complete and sign section 9 of the V5C document, however, it will then be your responsibility to send it to the DVLA. If you have any questions, our collection team will be more than happy to help you.

What paperwork do I need to complete?

Upon collection you will need to complete section 9 of the V5C as mentioned above. If you are unable to provide this, the DVLA will need to be informed by the registered keeper that the vehicle has been sold and who it was sold to.

What do I do with the V5C log book?

You and the collector need to fill out section 9 of the V5C and then you need to send this to the DVLA. If this is not done, you could be fined and risk being liable for any future tickets or fines. Once your vehicle has been scrapped, you will receive a Certificate of Destruction (COD) to prove that your vehicle has been destroyed in line with government guidelines.

What if I don’t have a V5C log book?

If you don’t have a V5C, don’t worry you can still scrap the vehicle. You can either apply for a replacement via a V62 form or you can scrap the vehicle and have a COD issued. If you choose to scrap the vehicle, proof of photo ID and proof of ownership of the vehicle may be requested from the collector.

What happens with the previous car history?

If you have any of the previous car history, this should be provided to us when the vehicle is collected. This may include old MOTs, service history or receipts of completed work.

Do I need to handover all of the paperwork?

Yes, we need you to provide any paperwork that you have to our collector. As mentioned, once section 9 of the V5C has been completed, you will be responsible for sending this part of the paperwork to the DVLA.

Will I get a receipt from the collector?

You won’t receive a receipt from the collector; however, you will receive an email confirmation from Scrapping A Car. Once your car has been scrapped you will also receive a Certificate of Destruction as proof it has been destroyed.

Why do I need to show my ID?

In October 2013, the Scrap Metal Dealers Act was introduced to stop rogue traders. As part of this, when scrapping a vehicle, your photo ID is now required to legally identify you. Our collector will ask for your photo ID and a utility bill upon collection, this is a standard procedure when scrapping your vehicle.

What is a waste carriers license?

A waste carriers license is issued by the Environmental Agency and applies to anyone who transports, disposes, buys or sells waste or arranges for others to do so on their behalf. This is in order to protect the environment and prevent fly tipping. As a result, all of our collectors have an up to date waste carriers license.

What is a Certificate of Destruction?

A Certificate of Destruction (COD) is an official DVLA document that you will receive once your car has been depolluted and recycled in line with government guidelines by an Authorised Treatment Facility, such as Scrapping A Car.

Can the price be changed based on an incorrect appraisal?

Our quotes are provided subject to inspection. If you have accurately described your vehicle, your quote is guaranteed. However, if the vehicle is not as described, the price can be recalculated.

Do I need to contact the DVLA?

Yes, you do but this is a simple process. Once your vehicle has been collected, you need to complete section 9 of the V5C and send it to the DVLA. If you don’t have this, the registered keeper will need to inform the DVLA in writing. It’s important that you do this to prevent being fined.

How do I declare my vehicle as off the road (SORN)?

You can declare your vehicle as SORN online, over the phone, or at the post office. Once you declare the vehicle as SORN, you must keep the vehicle off all public highways.

Can I get my insurance reimbursed?

Once your vehicle has been collected, you can inform your insurer that you wish to cancel your insurance and that your car has been sold for scrap. If you pay annually you may be eligible for a reimbursement, however, you will need to contact your insurer directly for full details and to check if you are eligible.

What if my insurance company requires a Certificate of Destruction (COD)?

Once your vehicle has been disposed of you will receive a Certificate of Destruction. You may then choose to pass this on to your insurance company.

How do I get my tax reimbursed?

You will need to inform the DVLA once your vehicle has been collected and the V5C has been filled out to see if you are eligible for a tax reimbursement. You will need to contact them directly for further details and to check eligibility.

Get Quote